SHINECookbook photography for soulful food writers
HOW WOULD IT FEEL TO HOLD YOUR GORGEOUSLY PHOTOGRAPHED COOKBOOK IN YOUR HANDS?
You spent months testing new flavors, experimenting with textures, perfecting your recipes. You know they’re great and you know they’ll help people.
Excited, thrilled and a little exhausted, the hard work should be behind you.
Except the world needs to see images of your creations, because we first eat with our eyes.
And you’ve learnt the hard way that taking photos that make your recipes shine may not be all that simple.
IMAGINE IF YOU COULD…
☐ wake up in the morning knowing you won’t have to stress ever again about making your recipes look as great as they taste. Fighting with filters and settings in your iPhone photo apps, be gone!..
☐ Have a cookbook that looks like you, with photos that capture the essence of your brand, of who you are and what you stand for. Photos that make you feel so proud of your visual presence that you can’t wait to promote the heck out of it…
☐ Create recipes with peace of mind, knowing your won’t need to exile your family from the kitchen, fiddle with white balance, or spend entire nights on Photoshop trying to get your photos to look the way you want to…
☐ Increase your engagement in social media (hello Instagram!), and build buzz about your lunch with ease, and with guidance from an expert to create the look and feel that is right for your brand…
☐ See your cookbook become a best-seller and open new growth opportunities, like you always wanted to…
THAT’S WHERE I COME IN
You simply need to work with a photographer who understands how important putting the heart and soul in everything you create is- someone who knows that dreams can sometimes start with a dust of flower, the smell of fresh basil, or the sound of the blender making raw milk. And that looking like a professional in everything you do can set you apart and get you noticed.
I take the essence of your brand, your story, your goals, and turn every bit of brilliance you’ve created into photographs and video that highlight all the sparkle you’ve put into your work.
Shine is a photography + video package for driven, heart-centered & soulful health coaches and nutritionists who are ready to invest in visuals that are beautiful, authentic, strategic and effective to propel their cookbook’s success.
I take your recipes from scribbles in a napkin to gorgeous finished photographs designed to convert- and I do so in a friendly and simple way that aims at removing all your stress and worries.
Whether this is your first cookbook or your fourth, Shine is designed to provide you with the perfect images and videos to launch your cookbook with a bang, magnetize your ideal customers, and skyrocket its visibility.
Ready to invest in making your cookbook the work of art it’s meant to be?
HERE’S WHAT YOU GET
(because when you work with me, stunning photos are only the beginning)
A STRATEGIC VISUAL VOICE
Your brand is not cookie-cutter, so neither should be your photos. Your photos should look like you, sound like you, feel like you. I design your photos to make sure your voice is strong and clear and attracts the right people.
This includes analysis of your ICA, positioning, branding archetype and business goals. All my nerdy brain and my creativity are dedicated to helping your business grow.
60 SOUL-ALIGNED PHOTOS
A gorgeously photographed cookbook can be a magnet for the people you help, especially when the whole process is infused with high vibration.
From making sure every prop, every detail and every image is an accurate representation of your brand, to playing abundance mantras in the background while I shoot, I aim for all your photos to become your business talisman.
1 GORGEOUS VIDEO
Photo + Video, strategically working together, have the power to catapult your promo results to a whole new level.
With this package, you get one video, professionally shot by me, and perfectly edited by videographer and editor Emmy Wu, to maximize the power of your launch, and a 60 seconds Facebook ad video with attention grabbing motion graphics text.
As my client, you’ll have my expert guidance & nerdy mind dedicated to help you every step of the way. After your photos are delivered, you’ll have a 60 minute strategy session with me to prepare your launch, plus access to an exclusive client portal, with step by step training videos to help you make the most of your photos, as well as to the Infinite Universe Membership, to help you ground, center and manifest with ease and alignment.
My main objective? to help you succeed wildly.
We hired Marcela because we knew that we eat first with our eyes, and because we knew that in order to successfully transition from being a natural juice only company, into becoming leaders in the local healthy eating market, we needed professional photographs.
We hesitated initially due to the distance and the cost of the investment. We didn’t know whether our pilot project was going to take off, but we needn’t worry.
The best thing about working with Marcela was how easy the whole process was – even easier than working with local teams that require more planning and logistics. We simply sent our recipes, and Marcela immediately understood our brand, our vision and was able to translate that into our photos.
The photos are on a whole other level of excellence and the results are clear: every time we post them on social media we increase our sales.
Last month, we even broke a sales record!Rafael Carles
MY SERVICES ARE PERFECT FOR YOU IF:
- You’re a soulful, ambitious health coach or nutritionist with a mission, a vision and a passion for helping people thrive with great food and fall in love with their bodies.
- You’ve been in business for a couple of years, and understand marketing and sales, and the impact that great, customized photography & video can have in them.
- You have a clear vision of who you are, who you want to reach with your cookbook, and have an audience waiting for your cookbook.
- You know where you want to take your business in the short and medium term.
- You are willing and ready to invest in working with a professional who can get you the results you crave while you focus your time and attention in your zone of genius.
MY SERVICES ARE NOT FOR YOU IF:
- Your never had a client, don’t know who your ideal clients should be, and you don’t have anyone potentially interested in your recipes.
- Your cookbook is a hobby and you don’t expect to sell it.
- You are not sure professional photography is worth the investment, so you prefer to keep snapping with your phone even if you don’t like the results, because it’s free.
- You hate the idea of delegating, and don’t want any strategic advice, even if it stalls your growth.
- You prefer to wing it without a strategy, think talking about money and conversions is “nonspiritual”, and don’t mind losing money while you figure it all out.
HERE’S HOW IT WORKS
Simple from start to finish, I make sure all details are taken care of, every step of the way
Discovery Call: We’ll begin my making sure we’re creative soul-mates, and that we can work joyfully together. After you’ve booked your initial meeting, I’ll send you a link to fill out a short questionnaire about your needs, and then we’ll meet via skype to discuss everything about it.
Contract & Invoice: After our call, I’ll send you a contract for you to sign digitally, and with the click of a button, and an invoice for you to make a payment.
Strategy, Design & Moodboard: After you’ve made your first payment, we’ll start the VIP work. You’ll receive a link to your private client page, where you’ll find all information related to every step of the project, and a downloadable link to all documents we sign together. You’ll also have access to two branding personality tests, a custom styling questionnaire, and a link to book our 60 minute strategy call. After we meet, I’ll put all info together and create a custom mood board for your project and a shot list, and send them to you for approval.
Video Strategy and Script planning: In your Private Client Page you’ll also have a link to your videography client page, by Emmy Wu. After we have our meeting, I’ll forward all your info to Emmy, and you’ll be able to book your 60 minute video strategy session with her and have access to all her guidance to write your promo video script. You’ll also be able to select the video soundtrack, any additional stock footage that may be needed, and provide Emmy with your logo so she can prepare an amazing custom intro for your video with motion graphics. We’ll then prepare a story board and determine which footage I’ll capture for you during the days of the shoot. And don’t worry, everything will be coordinated and simple so every little part of the process is easy, exciting and joyful.
Sourcing: Once the moodboard is approved and the style for your photos is set, I’ll source everything we need for the shoot and purchase the special props that will be exclusive to your photos. This is also the time when you’ll need to email and ship to me anything you want me to include in your photos (finalized recipes, products or props that are meaningful to your brand, etc). We’ll also set a date for the photoshoot to take place.
Photoshoot & Videography: The big day! This is where you sit back and relax, while I make the magic happen in my studio. I’ll prop, style, and shoot all the photos we agreed on your shot list, as well as some extra ones for you to have variety when choosing your favorites. I’ll also capture the video footage we agreed with the story board. Since cookbook photos take more than one day, I’ll keep you updated of shooting evolution, so you always know where we are in the process.
Post- Production: Once the shoot is finished, I’ll send the video footage to Emmy and will start editing all photos in Photoshop, using a professionally color-calibrated monitor to make sure all your photos look perfect, in both print and web. This usually takes about 10-15 days for cookbooks, because of the amount of photos.
Proofs, Final Payment & Delivery: Once editing is finalized, I’ll upload all your photos to your private online gallery, where you’ll be able to select your favorites. You’ll also have one round of edits to make any adjustments you desire to get your photos to look like you dream. You’ll also receive the video from Emmy and will have two round of revisions, to make any adjustments needed. I’ll then send you the invoice for the final payment and, within 24hrs, email your photos and video for you to download with the click of a button.
Access to bonus trainings: Together with the photos, I’ll send you access to the exclusive client portal, where you’ll find a series of step by step bonus video trainings to help you maximize your investment. I’ll also ship back to you whatever you’ve sent me for the shoot, and email you a tracking code for the shipment.
Some people think that because I am artistic or I have good taste, I can also take great photos.
I’ve tried the DIY method before and it worked for the first few years of my business.
But when you want to play in the big leagues you know you need to up your game, and photography was the first area I decided to invest. I was admittedly scared about hiring someone, but when I met Marcela she wiped away all my worries in an instant. She understood who I was and got my vision. She has wicked telepathy skills to guess what we want our pictures to look like. She always takes the shots we ask, and then some. And the “some”are always THE BEST. She has this magical thing about her: she knows what you want before you can express it, and she is able to translate your thoughts into the shot.
But beyond taking beautiful pictures, the beauty of working with Marcela is that she makes it hassle-free on the client. No part of the process feels icky or draggy. She makes it soooo easy for you to ask what you want, order and pay. Gosh, even paying is easy. Even the boring logistical stuff feels smooth. And every step of the way you feel taken care of. She gets it.
What started as a commission to photograph Life is Messy Kitchen evolved into so much more and I ended hiring her to take pictures for my blog and my shop as well.
After working with Marcela, I realized that my time is best spent doing the work I’m great at, instead of reading my camera manual and trying to learn about exposure. Since hiring her I am happy to delegate and enjoy the extra time I get to optimize my genius: perfect my illustrations, make more videos, and create new products.
And the best part is that her photos aren’t just pretty: they sell.Mayi Carles
I’M READY FOR MY RECIPES TO SHINE
SHINECookbook Photo + Video Package for Soulful Food Writers
- Preparatory material, including access to an exclusive, personalized client portal & 2 Branding Personality tests.
- 60 minute strategy session with Marcela where we’ll define the style of your photographs so they have the impact you desire, and the footage I’ll capture for your dream promo video.Visual strategy assessment includes: definition of branding archetype and energetic imprint of your business.
- 60 min Strategy session with Marcela, after delivery of your photos + video, to plan a social media and launch strategy for your book using your visuals.
- 60 minute Skype Video strategy session with Professional Videographer Emmy Wu, including recording of your call & Personalized Video Game Plan PDF.
- Personalized Mood Board, to guide the styling of your photos and beyond.
- Prop styling, including sourcing everything necessary and purchasing a few exclusive props to be used just for you (because your brand shouldn’t look like anyone else’s).
- Food Styling, including purchasing ingredients, cooking and styling the photos for your mouth-watering recipes to shine.
- Access to your own, private, online gallery where you’ll be able to view, proof and download your images with the click of a button.
- 60 custom high resolution photos, designed and alchemized specially for your cookbook to be the smashing success it is meant to be. (including up to 30 recipes and 1 book cover).
- 10 Backstage Photos and 2 backstage livestreams so you can build hype before the launch.
- Generous license for the exclusive use of your photos, worldwide and in perpetuity in your book, website, shop and social media (see limitations in FAQ).
- 1 Professionally edited Brand video that showcases your personality & brand message ($997 value)
- Custom footage for your video, captured by Marcela.
- 60 second Facebook ad video with attention grabbing motion graphics text.
- Video Script templates & personalized script support + feedback from Emmy.
- Custom Animated Introduction with Premium soundtrack, by Emmy.
- Unlimited choice of gorgeous stock footage for your video.
- BONUS #1 : Professional cropping and optimization of all your photos for web and 2 social media platforms of your choice, so you just need to upload and share everywhere to promote your book.
- BONUS #2: Photoshop & Canva video tutorials on how to crop, add text, overlay, reduce size and optimize your images for web and social media (you can share them with your VA).
- BONUS #3: Beautifully designed cheat-sheet of social media image sizes to keep always handy or share with your VA.
- BONUS #4: Video tutorials with Sales & Marketing Ideas to utilize your photos to the maximum.
- BONUS #5: DIY Kinesiology System by Kerry Rowett of Awaken Kinesiology, to bust any blocks related to making your business shine.
- BONUS #6: Sell out your program meditation, to energetically call the right people to your products (exclusive for Thrive and Shine clients) ($37 value)
Due to the high level of customization and dedication of my services, I only have a few slots each month to work with new clients.
Apply now to guarantee a place in my calendar!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
WHY 60 IMAGES? WHY 30 RECIPES?
Great question. In my experience, most cookbooks require a minimum of 1/3 of their recipes photographed. If you have a cookbook that includes 90 recipes, 30 is that 1/3.
But the cookbook’s photos are not enough for properly promoting a book, especially when you plan on promoting it on different social media platforms which have different sizing requirements. This is why I have included a total of 60 photos, so we can photograph a book cover, ingredients, preparation shots (which are always very popular), and include a variety of sizes for you to promote your work accross the board.
CAN I ADD MORE RECIPES?
If you, or your publishing house require more recipes to be photographed, I’m always happy to adjust the quote accordingly at a discounted rate. Simply let me know how many recipes you’d need during our discovery call.
WHY ADD VIDEO?
Complementing your set of images with one professionally edited video, with custom-made footage and custom intro with motion graphics, plus a 60 second Facebook ad video can completely catapult you reach and maximize your results. And this is what I want for you: absolute success, a thriving cookbook launch, and the possibility to shine your talents brightly.
HOW LONG DOES THE PROCESS TAKE?
It usually takes 8-10 weeks between the time we start working together, and the delivery of the final shots and video.
I usually allocate 2 weeks to preparatory work, because this is the key part of the process, where we determine the right style for your photos based on your positioning, your ICA and your business objectives. Prep work includes questionnaires and tests that you’ll need to fill out, a 45-60 minute strategy meeting and a mood board, which you’ll need to approve before we move forward.
Once prep work is done, I set a date for the shoot, usually within a couple of weeks of the approval of the mood board to account for sourcing and prep time. Depending on the complexity of the shoot, it may take a few days to take all photos, and then it’s editing time, which usually takes a week. If you want extra edits, this may take an extra week.
Once all photos are approved and selected, I’ll send you a final invoice and, once it’s paid, I’ll deliver all photos to you, online, within 24 hrs of receiving your payment.
WHAT ARE PROPS? WILL I NEED TO BUY ANY?
Props, or “atrezzos”, are the objects that surround your creation (your dish or your product) in order to add interest to it. They are the ones that ” set the scene” and help direct the eye view to your product and make it stand out.
My studio has a vast collection of props which I use for my client’s photos. Props are rotated regularly, and new props are added constantly to ensure diversity.
Prop styling (including the provision of props) is included in my custom photographic services, so you don’t need to ship any props to me. Should you wish your photos to include items that are hard to get, vintage, very expensive or specific to a certain country or region, you can either send them or I can source them for an extra fee.
HOW CAN I BE SURE I'LL LIKE THE FINAL PHOTOS?
My whole process is designed to make sure that you do.
This is why I take great time and care planning and designing how my client’s photos will look- a process of which you’ll be an active participant.This is also why, once the shooting is finalized, I am available to work with you for adapting the shots to your liking in post-processing.
I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT STYLING OR HOW I WANT MY PHOTOS TO LOOK LIKE. CAN WE STILL WORK TOGETHER?
In order for us to achieve the best results I need you to be clear on three things: who you are, who is your target/ideal customer and what you want to achieve.
Once you have that information, I take it from there and use my special method for designing (and executing) photos that are perfect for you and your brand and, most importantly: photos that get you results.
We’ll follow a thorough process that includes branding tests, questionnaires and a specially designed moodboard for you to approve the style before I shoot. You also have one round of edits, once the final shots are ready, for us to adjust anything that is needed.
I DON'T LIVE IN CYPRUS, CAN I STILL WORK WITH YOU?
In fact, most of my clients at the time are from outside of the country. I have worked with clients located in the USA, Canada, Panama, Spain and England.
For as long as you have an internet connection to communicate with me during the production and design stage of my services and to download the photographs, and are willing to email me your recipes, we are all set. I’ll guide you every step of the process and keep you updated regularly.
HOW CAN YOU SHOOT MY VIDEO IF I DON'T LIVE IN CYPRUS?
Great question. There are many kinds of videos we can shoot that don’t require you to be present in the same city as me. Recipe videos, products in action video, videos where we show hands that could be anyone’s.
If you want to appear in your video, there are three ways we can do that too:
- I can travel to where you live (for an additional cost),
- You can come to Cyprus (I can arrange everything for you, including hotel, make up and hair dresser and create a full VIP experience for you), or
- You can shoot your video interview yourself, with plenty of guidance from Emmy and me, with any camera you have (even your iphone works fine!). I’ll then shoot the additional footage here (what is called B-roll), according to the storyboard we plan, and Emmy will edit it all to integrate beautifully into one gorgeous brand video that will knock your socks off.
How does that sound?
WORKING LONG DISTANCE MAKES ME NERVOUS. DO YOU OFFER ANY GUARANTEES?
I completely understand. This is, in fact, a common fear most of my clients have before working with me, but after they see how simple it is, they become clients for life.
Here are some of the guarantees I offer:
- A contract. Every aspect of our working together will be described in a thorough contract we’ll both sign before you make your first payment.
- A dedicated client page where every aspect of our working is carefully described, and where you’ll have copies of all documents. Lost a receipt? Need copies of your branding tests? Everything will be there, as well as guidance as to what to do next, schedulers for booking our meetings and all my contact info (yes, including my cell phone and whatsapp details).
- Weekly emails, at COT Friday, letting you know where we are with the project, what needs to be done next and what I need from you. You’ll never be left wondering what is happening.
- End of stage emails, letting you know when we move to the next project phase.
- A thorough process for determining the right style for your photos, so they support your positioning, engage your ideal clients and help you make money. This takes time, but it’s so worth it!
- The possibility to have one round of extra edits, to adjust anything you need.
DO YOUR FEES INCLUDE ALL EXPENSES?
No. Production costs such as travel outside of Nicosia, Cyprus, and the cost of ingredients in Food Photography need to be borne by the client.
I am happy to provide cost estimates together with my quote, in order for you to have an accurate budget, if you need me to, and to explain all costs involved during our exploratory meeting.
IS THERE ANYTHING YOU DON'T PHOTOGRAPH?
Weapons of any kind. Pornographic material (not judging, just not my thing). Anything illegal. Contact me if you have any doubts
WHAT KIND OF LICENSE DO YOU PROVIDE? ARE THERE ANY LIMITATIONS?
When you work with me I’ll give you a license to use your photos in your shop, website, social media and in print (branding collateral, ebooks, book covers, etc) worldwide and in perpetuity.
There are three important limitations: 1) I retain copyright, so you can’t make the photo pass as your own, 2) The license is limited to you and your own business. This means that you can’t sell it, transfer it or sub-license it.
If your business has a multi-level marketing structure or you license the use of your products for other professionals to use your method, and you want to provide photos for them as part of the package, please let me know so I can quote a multiple license option that covers your licensees as well.
MEET THE TEAM
Photography, Video & Styling
Marcela Macias is Cyprus-based photographer and stylist with experience photographing for cookbooks, ads and web for companies worldwide. She believes her camera has the alchemical power of reflecting the true beauty and power of what her clients do, and is passionate about helping position her clients as experts in their industry, gain more fans and develop successful marketing campaigns. Her mission is to help women entrepreneurs stand out and shine their light with soulful and strategic photos that make people fall in love with their brands.
Emmy Wu is a Portland based videographer and editor who’s been slinging professional and broadcast cameras in the film industry for over 15 years, even before high definition existed. She’s helped clients like MGM and Paramount bring their vision to life on the big screen, but found her passion in helping entrepreneurs tell their story so they can spread their brand message and elevate their online presence like never before. Her mission is to transform that message from your heart into a beautiful medium that you can share with the world.
YOU’RE SO READY TO SHINE!
Book our discovery call so we can make your cookbook a success.
Marcela provides an unbelievable service because she doesn’t just shoot: she works with you to ensure that the photographs are styled and designed to reach the final customer.Her photographs are not just beautiful and elegant, they are also part of a marketing strategy.Victoria Zamora Duran
Marcela takes a recipe and turns it into tasty looking, simple and gorgeous photos which make me look like the professional that I aspire to be, totally bringing my work to a really high standard.
What makes Marcela’s services special is that they’re holistic. Right from the beginning of the project, she tried to get to know me and my business, to really understand my ideal customers and what direction I was trying to take my business in. Investment in this sort of detail upfront is not something I’ve experienced before.Zoe Hart